Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Traveling to Xela

Kir and I spent about 3 days of last week in buses and mini vans traveling to Xela. We stopped off on the way here in Semuc Champey... which was kinda on the way. What an incredibly beautiful area!!! We stayed at a sort of Hostel there for 4 nights and 2 full days. It was very relaxing. On the fist of the 2 days we took a cave tour during which we traveled through th cave with candles and had to swim for a lot of it! I was quite chilly by the time we came out. Since our cameras are not water proof we don`t have pics. Sad, cause it was really cool!! The next day we went to Semuc Champney where there are the most beautiful cristal clear pools of water!! Other than that we spent a lot of time just reading and studying. Although we did get in a little dancing in one night. It was nice too because all of the employees speak spanish and som of the guests too so we had opportunities to talk.

We arrived here in Xela on Saturday. My friend Hugo`s nephew, Roca, lives in a town near by and came to town with 2 of his frinds and took me and Kir out dancing! Such a fun night (which I don`t have pictures of either). We went to church on Sunday and I think it is THE friendliest ward I have ever attended. Both Kir and I love all the cheek kisses we get!
The family we are staying with here are so great. It`s a husband and wife who are about my age (just a bit older) with 2 kids 19, and 15. We were suprised when we got there to find out we have our own rooms AND our own bathrooms with hot showers!! The mom, Sandy, is an amazing cook and the family is good about eating with us and talking to us a lot, and helping us feel very welcome. Infact they had 4 family members over last night and we all had dinner togther. Although they have a different faith we all hold hands and pray before meals which I think is sweet and they have us take turns to practice too.
Last night Kir and I had a bit of a scare as we were walking home from the center of town around 7:30pm.. it was dark, but not that late. Kirsti was walking behind me and there was a point that I turned around to see her and saw a guy right behind her with his hood over his head and I screamed "watch out" and grabbed her, and then she screamed and dropped to the ground. Luckily he ran away! It supposedly not normal for the hour and location, but our dad, Roberto told us to buy whistles and if we blow them the neighbors will know something is wrong and run out. I think we just had bad luck, but we will get whistles and Kir will carry her pepper spray (don`t worry mom and dad!!)

I am very happy to be here. Xela is the 2nd biggest city in Guatemala so we have a lot more access to things! Kir and I are going to take Salsa lessons tonight too. And I am VERY happy to be in school again!

I have not taken ANY pictures of life here yet... they are coming!





















No comments:

Post a Comment